Student visa to study and work in Australia


The student visa in Australia

With the student visa in Australia you can study and work at the same time. We help you apply for it!

The student visa in Australia allows you to enroll in a course, whether in languages ​​or vocational training.  (called VET or TAFE courses), with which you can improve your level of English, prepare to obtain an official certificate (IELTS, Cambridge or TOEFL) or continue training in various areas such as marketing, communication, business , art, education, hospitality... There are an infinite number of options!

1. Requirements to apply for a student visa in Australia

To apply for a student visa, you will only have to contact contact us and comply the following requirements:

  1. Enroll in a course: This is a visa that allows you to study, so you will have to enroll in a course, either English or vocational training (called VET or TAFE courses), so we can apply for it. You have many options, different cities, schedules, schools, types of courses... We help you choose the option that best fits your objectives.
  2. Have a valid passport for the next 6 months. Check when your passport expires and make sure it is valid. And if not, renew it!
  3. Get your COE. The Confirmation of Enrollment is a document that the school will send us confirming that you are enrolled in a course. This will help us apply for your student visa.
  4. Contract your medical insurance. This step is super important to get the visa! Don't worry, we'll take care of that too.
  5. Write the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant). This document is a letter in English that you send to the Australian government explaining why you want to study in Australia. We send you examples, a guide and tips for writing it. It is very simple!
  6. Other documentation. To ensure that you will be given the visa, we will also prepare supporting documentation such as academic or work certifications. Additionally, depending on your nationality, they may ask you to present financial solvency or medical evidence.
  7. Be over 18 years old. If you haven't met them yet, we will help you as soon as you are of age!
  8. Pagar el visado. Para recibir el visado de estudiante, tendrás que pagar una tasa de 1600 AUD.

2. What courses can I study with a student visa?

With the student visa you can opt for different courses, including:

  • General English Course: this course ranges from beginner English to advanced English. You can choose between intensive courses of 25 hours per week or 20 hours.
  • English for Academic Purposes: courses to gain access to an Australian university.
  • Business English: English courses aimed at the professional world.
  • Cambridge Certificate: these are courses designed to pass the following exams: CAE, CPE, PET and FCE. If your goal is to obtain an official qualification, this is your best option.
  • IELTS preparation: it is a specialized course only in passing and obtaining the IELTS certification. This title allows you to access certain jobs, courses such as university postgraduate degrees, and the Work and Holiday Visa.
  • VET or TAFE courses: if your goal is not to learn English, but to study something related to your sector, Australia offers thousands of vocational training courses focused on marketing, sports, business, hospitality, education, art... You have thousands of options!

3. Work with the student visa

One of the advantages of the student visa is that you can work while you study. This will help you pay for your entire stay and even travel around the country.

If your level of English is not very high, you can start working in the hospitality,  as a waiter, barista, in the kitchen, etc. Another option is the cleaning sector, both in hotels and in private homes. And, if you already have a medium/high level of English, you can prepare your resume to work in customer service positions. And, of course, you can apply for jobs in your professional sector! There are many job opportunities in Australia, go for them!

4. How many hours can you work with a student visa?

Con la Student Visa en Australia, podrás trabajar 24 horas a la semana mientras estudias y 40 horas semanales durante tu periodo de vacaciones.

Trabajar con el visado de estudiante en Australia

5. How long does the student visa take?

Once we have all these documents, our visa expert team will be in charge of reviewing them one by one and applying for the visa. It's that easy!

Visa approval times will depend on your nationality and the volume of requests at the time. En this government website you can check the stipulated times.

Our advice: get in touch with us so we can help you collect all the documents you need, so you can apply as soon as possible!

6. How much does the student visa cost? 

El visado de estudiante cuesta 1600 AUD.

7. Can I travel with my partner?

That's how it is! The Australian student visaallows you to include your partner in the visa application. This means that you can legally travel to Australia by meeting certain requirements. This visa is requested together with the student visa. In this case, your partner will be able to:

  • Study a maximum of 12 weeks. This can be done once the student visa holder has started their course.
  • Trabajar un máximo de 24 horas. A diferencia del visado de estudiante, la pareja solo podrá trabajar 24 horas durante toda su estancia.

Once you have your Partner Visa, the couple could also apply for a student visa if they wish to study and work up to 40 hours during school holidays. We help you request it.

Requirements to apply for a couple visa

To apply for this visa, you will need to collect a series of documents that certify that you have been together for more than 12 months or that the couple has been living together for 6 months.

The documentation that can be presented is the following:

  • Marriage certificate.
  • De facto couple certificate.
  • It is also advisable to attach all possible additional documentation such as:
  • Invoices in both names.
  • Housing contract.
  • Certificate of registration.
  • Joint bank account.
  • Plane tickets.
  • Travel/hotel reservations.
  • Photos together.

If you do not have a marriage certificate, or a de facto partnership certificate, each case will be assessed separately based on the additional documents that may be presented.

You must also take out couple health insurance. These insurances have additional coverage for couples and pregnancy, which is why they are much more expensive. An individual insurance is AUD51/month, while a couple's insurance is AUD175/month.For this reason, and even knowing that the most advisable thing is to take out couples insurance, many people prefer to take out individual insurance to save a few dollars.

You can take out individual insurance, but you have to do it knowing the risks, which will be entirely at your expense:

  • They could deny your visa (in the worst case scenario) or ask you to take out couples insurance and cancel the individual one.
  • If you are approved and the partner gets sick, it could be that the insurance company does not want to cover the cost of the doctor, or the operation, if the company realizes that in reality that person is not a student but a partner. And this can have a very, very high cost.

How much does a couple visa cost?

Este visado tiene un coste de 1.190 AUD.

8. Can I travel with my family?

Of course! You can also include other members of your family to travel to Australia. The requirements will be the same as those mentioned in the previous section for traveling as a couple, but you will have to apply for a dependent visa for each child under 18 years of age.

What are the costs to take into account with this visa?

We tell you what prices you should take into account when applying for this visa.

  • El que estudia: visado de estudiante 1600 AUD.
  • La pareja: visado de pareja 1190 AUD. Puede estudiar un máximo de 3 meses.
  • Hijos menores de edad: visado dependiente 390 AUD.
  • Compulsory health insurance:costs between AUD 298 and AUD 448 per month. Additionally, it must be paid in full before applying for visas.
  • Traveling with minor children is possible but expensive, since public education in Australia requires payment for the children of foreigners. Until the age of 6, children are not required to go to school. From the age of 6, schooling is mandatory.

Las escuelas infantiles cuestan entre 65 AUD y 100 AUD al día por niño, dependiendo de su edad. Cuanto más pequeño es el niño, más caro. Si los hijos son mayores de 6 años, podrían estudiar inglés en una academia de inglés y el coste sería el mismo que el de las académicas para adultos, entre 250 AUD – 300 AUD/semana. Una escuela de educación primaria cuesta unos 8.296 AUD por año por niño.

Financial solvency for families

Unlike the partner visa, the Australian government requires families to have sufficient funds to support themselves in Australia. To give you an idea, for a 1-year stay, the amount we have to prove is the following:

  • El estudiante tiene que demostrar que dispone de 29.710 AUD/año para su manutención. Unos 2476 AUD por mes de visado.
  • También tendrá que demostrar 10.394 AUD/año para la manutención de la pareja.
  • Por cada hijo, tendrá que demostrar 4.490 AUD/año más la solvencia necesaria para la escolarización en caso de ser obligatoria.

9. How long can I stay in Australia?

This depends on the length of your course.

  • If your course lasts less than 10 months: you can obtain a visa to stay 1 month longer than the duration of your course.
  • If your course lasts 10 months or more and ends between January and October: you will be able to stay in Australia for 2 additional months to the duration of your course.
  • If your course lasts 10 months or more and ends between November and December: you will be eligible for a visa that lasts until March 15 of next year.

10. Can I renew my student visa?

Of course! And we tell you that once you are there, you will want to renew it! This will help you to continue your studies and extend your stay in Australia.To renew your student visa you just have to be clear about which course you want to study. We will help you again to choose it.

You have two options:

  • Renew your visa when your course ends.This must be done before your current visa expires.
  • Renew your visa before finishing your course.If you are already clear that you want to extend your stay, we can look at which course you are interested in to have everything ready for when you can request it.

11. Advantages of traveling with a student visa

And the million dollar question is why choose study in Australia with the student visa? Below we tell you the reasons to do so:

  1. You can choose the duration of your stay.You can make your experience last as long as you want! This depends on the duration of your course, therefore, we will help you find the course that suits your objectives: you can spend 3 months in Australia or extend your stay by 1 year. You are free to study as many courses as you wish.
  2. You don't need any English qualifications.This visa is very easy to apply for, since you will not be asked to prove your level of English. What's more, your level will improve as soon as you reach the Aussies lands.
  3. You study and work at the same time.Don't worry about money, in Australia you can work up to 40 hours a week during your school holidays to cover all your expenses, save to go on your road trips and live without worries. All students combine their class hours with work. In Australia they are very flexible and you will have thousands of job offers available!
  4. Travel no matter how old you are.This visa has no age limit, you can apply for it at any time in your life! If you are over 18, we will help you apply.
  5. International certificate of studies.Depending on the course you study, you will obtain qualifications that will add international experience to your CV, something very notable since the Australian education system is highly recognized throughout the world.
  6. Travel with your partner.You can apply for your student visa and include your partner in it. This means that only one of you will have to enroll in a course. However, if your companion wants to study and work, she can do it too!
  7. Unlimited quotas.Unlike the Work and Holiday Visa, which has limited places per year to apply for it, with this visa you won't have to worry about that, you can apply for it whenever you want! There is a place for you.

Related Posts