We process your visa to study and work in Australia


Visas in Australia

Australia is a land of educational and employment opportunities, but to access them you will need to obtain a visa. There are different types depending on your objective in the country. Are you interested in studying and working in Australia? Then keep reading because we present you the main visas that you can aspire to to achieve your goals. Plus, we help you apply for them for free!

Before making the jump to Australia, you should know that to enter the country you will need a visa. At YouTooProject we advise you, for free, on what type of visa is best for you according to your travel intentions, budget, nationality and objectives.

The student visa

The student visa in Australia will give you allows you to enroll in a course, either English or vocational training (known as VET courses) with which you can improve your level of English, prepare to obtain an official certificate (IELTS, Cambridge, etc.) or continue training in various areas , such as marketing, communication, business, art, education, hospitality... and many more!

How to apply for a student visa

To get a student visa in Australia, you must meet some requirements. Don't get overwhelmed, YouTooProject will guide you with each of the documents you need to apply for the visa. These are the requirements that you must meet:

  • Enroll in a course:As we mentioned, you can study an English or vocational training course. To apply for the visa, you will have to have previously enrolled in a course and present the CoE (Confirmation of Enrollment) that the school will provide you.
  • Be of legal age: you will have to be over 18 years old so that we can help you apply for your student visa. If you are not of legal age yet, don't worry! You can collect all the information to travel as soon as you meet them.
  • Have health insurance: you must take out health insurance (OSHC, Overseas Student Health Cover) that covers your entire stay in Australia. From the day you arrive until you leave. We will help you hire it easily and quickly.
  • Have a passport with a minimum validity of 6 months.
  • Pagar el visado: tendrás que pagar un total de 1600 AUD que es lo que cuesta el visado de estudiante. 

How long does the student visa take?

Once we have all these documents, our visa team will be in charge of reviewing them one by one and making the application. It's that easy!

Visa approval times will depend on your nationality and the volume of requests they have at that time. En this government website you can check the stipulated times. 25% of visas have an approval time of 7 days, while the other 75% can take an average of 29 days.

Our advice: get in touch with us so we can help you collect all the documents you need and request it as soon as possible.

How many hours can you work in Australia with a student visa?

With the Student Visa in Australia, you can work 24 hours a week while you studyand 40 hours a weekduring your vacation period. Enough to save and travel the country!

Can I travel with my partner?

That's how it is! The Australian student visaallows you to include your partner in the visa application. To do this, you will have to comply with some specific requirements. Once approved, you will both be able to study and work in Australia. The only difference is that the couple will be able to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during their entire stay. On the other hand, the main applicant will be able to work 40 hours a week during their school holidays.

How long can I stay in Australia?

This depends on the length of your course.

  • If your course lasts less than 10 months: you can obtain a visa to stay 1 month longer than the duration of your course.
  • If your course lasts 10 months or more and ends between January and October: you will be able to stay in Australia for 2 additional months to the duration of your course.
  • If your course lasts 10 months or more and ends between November and December: you will be eligible for a visa that lasts until March 15 of next year.

Work & Holiday Visa

Another option to travel to Australia is the Work & Holiday Visa (subclass 462) with which you can travel around Australia for 1 year and work at the same time.

Of course, you must keep in mind that you will not be able to work for more than 6 months for the same employer. It also allows you to study for a maximum of 4 months!

And what's better, you can enter and leave Australia as many times as you want during the 12-month duration. At YouTooProject we can also help you process your Work & Holiday visa. We have designed two perfect packs for you so that you can forget about all the paperwork and focus on planning your trip. Save time and avoid errors when applying for your visa.

What requirements must I meet to apply for the Work & Holiday visa?

The first thing you should keep in mind is that not all nationalities will be eligible for this visa. You will need to have a valid passport from some of the following countries: Argentina, Spain, Chile, Ecuador, China, Peru, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic , Slovenia, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, United States of America, Vietnam or Austria. To apply for your visa, you will also have to take the following into account:

  • Age: Be between 18 and 30 years old when you apply for the visa. If during the application of your visa you are 30 years old, but when you travel you are 31, no worries!You will have no problems entering the country with your approved visa.
  • Not having previously entered Australia with any of these visas: Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462), Working Holiday visa (subclass  417).
  • You will need to apply from outside Australia.
  • Have an English certificate showing that you have at least a B2.
  • Financial solvency:it can vary, but they usually ask you to prove that you have 5000 AUD.
  • They will ask you to have completed some minimum studies in your country. It will change depending on your nationality. Check it out here!

In addition to these general requirements, you may be asked for others depending on your country of origin. For example, send a letter of support if you are from Ecuador or Peru; or having to present the results of medical tests. You can visit the official government page to verify each of the requirements according to your nationality.

How much does the Work & Holiday visa cost?

Este visado tiene un precio de 650 AUD.

When should I request it?

Starting on July 1 of each year, you will be able to apply for your visa, as this is when the places open (if the previous ones have not been sold out, you can apply for it before this date).

Please note that The government grants a limited number of visas and this changes depending on the country. For example, forArgentina, Chile and Spain offer 3,400 places; For Peru they offer 1500, for Ecuador 100 places and for Uruguay 200 places.

In this web page you can check if the application period is still active.

Tourist Visa

If you are thinking of spending a few months in Australia to get to know the country from top to bottom and from east to west, you are probably looking for a tourist visa. You have many options! We will tell you about some of them so that you can choose the ones that best suit your plans.

Of course, keep in mind that with these visas you will not be able to work during your stay. However, they do allow you to study a course that lasts less than 3 months.

Visitor visa (subclass 600)

Conditions of the visitor visa (subclass 600):

  • In general, it allows you to stay in Australia for 3 months, although you can request to stay for up to 12 months.
  • The visa fee is145 AUD.
  • The government may ask you for the results of health checks, biometric exams or police certificates.
  • Application time: It may take between 15 and 90 days to be approved.

Evisitor visa

Conditions of the Visa evisitor (subclass 651):

  • It allows you to be in Australia for 3 months in a row over a period of 12 months.
  • It's free!
  • Application time: very fast! It may take 1-30 days to arrive.

Please note that you must apply for these two visas from outside the country. Check out the official government page. of Australia to check if you meet all the requirements.

If your objectives for traveling to Australia are different from those we have mentioned, you may need another type of visa! Australia offers many more options, such as:

  • Skilled visa: It is offered by the government to those workers with highly in-demand jobs.
  • Graduate visa:is a temporary visa that allows international students in certain occupations to live, study and work after completing their studies. It is more complicated to obtain because the studies required are limited.
  • Temporary Skill Shortage visa:You are probably more familiar with the name Sponsor Visa. It used to be called that before. It is a complicated visa to obtain, since an Australian company must demonstrate that it wants to hire you (rather than an Australian citizen) because you meet the requirements it needs. But it's not impossible!

Australia is a very large country with many corners to discover, sports to practice and trips to plan. Therefore, the more time you have, the more you will enjoy it.Studying and working in Australia will allow you to have time for everything.Start planning your adventure.

Skilled Visa

These visas are offered by the Australian government to those people with occupations that arein demand in a territory state. The requirements to obtain them are demanding and the process is also long and expensive. This makes acquiring this type of visa quite difficult. Some of them are:

With these last two you will be able to stay permanently in Australia!

To apply for them you will have to meet the following requirements:

  • Have an occupation listed on the corresponding qualified occupations.
  • Have an appropriate skills assessment for the occupation.
  • Be invited to apply for this visa.
  • Complete the points test.
  • Be less than 45 years old.

The price is 4115 AUD.

Temporary Graduate Visa

It is a temporary visa that allows international students in certain occupations to live, study and work after completing their studies with the Student Visa in Australia. It is more complicated to obtain because the studies required are limited.

How does it work?

The Graduate Visa has two types of application and the difficulty is determining which channels are appropriate. Firstly, the easiest channel is courses that have some relation to an occupation in the list of primary labor demand. If the applicant wants to apply for a Graduate Visa they must opt ​​for a course that is related to an occupation that is in demand on the corresponding list and that application granted will give the person 18 months of stay to work in Australia when the course ends. In addition, you will be able to work full-time, that is, a full day of 40 hours per week.

Normally what is What you do with that visa is to obtain 18 months to enter the modality of, for example, obtaining an employment sponsor. It is something very common because it allows you to work and be in the country to be able to obtain that employment sponsorship.

The other modality of the Postgraduate Visa is for those who study university degrees. These university degrees do not have to be linked to the occupation list, they simply have to have the university degree with the corresponding university or ELICOS and, depending on the level of study (bachelor's degree, master's degree, masters by research em>o PhD, the time granted to work will be different, from 2 to 4 years. The highest is the doctorate which is granted 4 years of subsequent work.

The Temporary Graduate Visa is a good visa option as long as there is an immigration plan in itself. Many people apply for this visa but do not know what they are going to do in the future. and it depends a lot on the reason for requesting it. The intention of requesting it cannot be to stay longer in the country. For example, if it is the first option, for 18 months, there should be an immigration plan that explains it. What is going to be done in those 18 months, because if the person is only dedicated to working it can affect future visa applications.

Is the course you choose relevant?

That's how it is. The decision about what to study is very important, as it will determine your visa application options in the future. Because, for example, 18 months of work experience will not be enough time to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa.

It would always be advisable to take a course that reinforces or complements what you have already studied in your country of origin. So when you want to apply for a permanent visa, the immigration department will value both your experience prior to your arrival in the country and your experience in Australia. It all adds up!

What types of courses can I study?

You can study both VET (vocational training) courses or TAFE courses in various sectors. For example, nursing, carpentry, cooking, etc. The important thing is that they are a CRICOS-registered course and that the course has a minimum duration of two years, that is, 92 weeks. You can expand the information on the Australian study requirements here.

These two years do not have to be consecutive, they can be different courses that, in turn, have added up to the two years of duration. That is, you can take multiple courses that, added together, have a duration of at least two years.

What is the degree of difficulty to apply for this visa?

Applying for a 485 is easy, as long as you meet the requirements of the Australian Study Requirements, which is the most complicated to achieve.

Temporary Skill Shortage visa

Surely the name Sponsor Visa sounds more familiar to you, since it used to be called that before. It is a complicated visa to obtain because an Australian company must demonstrate to the government that you have characteristics and skills that they cannot find in an Australian worker. For this reason, your performance in that job position will last for several years.

The general conditions of this visa are:

  • You must work for the same company for the duration of your visa, since the company hires you. The right to remain legally within Australia will be linked to the maintenance of this sponsorby the company that hires you.
  • It is not necessary to demonstrate a certain certified level of English.
  • The duration of the visa varies from 2 to 4 years.
  • With this visa, you can sponsor your children or partner.
  • The company must provide a minimum annual salary of about $55,000 a year.

Types ofTemporary Skill Visa

All visas meet the general conditions that we mentioned above, but the Australian government goes even deeper and has created 4 different types of visas within this sector. 

1. Short-term stream.It is focused on those jobs that are on the «short-term job list».

  • You can stay up to 2 years or up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies.
  • It costs 1330 AUD.

2.Medium-term stream. Focused on those jobs that are on the medium and long term job listor the regional job list .

  • You can stay up to 4 years.
  • It costs 2770 AUD.

3.Labor agreement stream. This visa is for qualified workers designated by employers who have a labor agreement. It allows you to live and work in Australia temporarily. Employment agreements are drawn up between the Australian Government (represented by the Department) and employers.

  • You will be able to stay a maximum of 4 years.
  • It costs 2770 AUD.

4. Subsequent entrant.This visa is for family members of those with a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) or Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) who apply separately for their visa and wish to join the main holder of the subclass visa.

  • The duration of the visa will depend on the owner of the family.
  • It costs 1330 AUD.

What is the degree of difficulty to apply for this visa?

The Sponsor Visa is a visa that holds the company responsible, so you must prove your worth so that they bet on you.

Therefore, two things can happen:

  1. That you are within the country and a company that already knows you bets on you; or that you work in a Spanish or Latin company that has a subsidiary in Australia and offers you the possibility of a transfer.
  2. If you are already in Australia and want to look for a company that can offer you this type of visa, we recommend that you take a look at the most in-demand professions in the country. You will have a better chance of getting this type of visa if your professional profile is scarce or there is a high demand for it.

Good luck!

Related Posts